Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another Collection Piece

Here's a card I've had in my collection since high school. I picked it up at a local card show more than 20 years ago for $15:

1934-'36 Diamond Stars #35 -- Earle Averill, Cleveland Indians

That's an example of a great deal that is found for early birds -- I was there when the door opened and picked this up at the first table I looked at -- and probably one of the better deals I've done over the years.

There are two things I'd like to point out here. First, Diamond Stars (read about the set at my site) get sorely overlooked by the 1933 and '34 Goudey sets. Its Art Deco design truly makes it a work of art and make them stand apart from the solid backgrounds Goudey used. Second, Earle Averill is overlooked as a Hall of Famer. His career was short (12 years, from 1929-'41), but he was a great hitter. He's still the career Indians leader in RBIs, runs and triples and third in hits despite only 11 seasons on the team. He was named to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee in 1975.

No comments:

Post a Comment