Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A New Addition

Last week, I picked up what is now the oldest item in my Steelers collection:


 Actually, it's not really a "Steelers" item, considering the Pittsburgh NFL franchise was known as the Pirates until 1940.


This is a Diamond Matchbook cover from 1935. You can see where it was once stapled together, but the matches that were once inside are long gone now. They came in several series, featuring several different subjects. Football players were released each year from 1933-'38. From 1934-'36 they issued series of baseball players with four different background colors (200 players, 800 different variations). As far as I know, the football series weren't available in different colors (but I definitely could be wrong on that).

In any case, it's nice to add this one to my Steelers collection.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pickup. I really like the football on the top of the book.

    ReplyDelete